Have you ever noticed your car battery dying? You may think it’s time to change the battery, but there are a few signs that might indicate otherwise. If you’re noticing corrosion on your cables or terminals, it’s time to replace the battery now. A bad alternator can also cause this issue because it will need to work harder when charging up the battery. It could be that your alternators are just old and need replacing as well if they have been in service for over 10 years. Sometimes sulfate crystals form inside of your car’s storage cells which means an early replacement is needed. So before you go out and buy a new one, check these signs first.
Signs of a bad battery
Car batteries are not designed to last forever. If your car is over three years old, you may want to have it checked for an older battery that needs replacing. Signs of needing a new battery are hard starting the engine, slow acceleration when accelerating from a stop, dimming headlights or lights cutting out after being turned on for awhile and other warning indicators as well as the car battery voltage gauge reading “Low” or “Dead.” Let’s take a look at some signs your car could be telling you it’s time for a new one.
If you find that your car is having trouble starting or turning on, it could be time for a new battery. There are some signs to look out for when determining if the battery needs to be replaced; here are 5 of them!
- The headlights dim significantly before the engine starts
- The dashboard lights up intermittently at night
- You notice an unpleasant smell coming from under the hood
- Your brake lights stay on after you stop your vehicle and turn off the key
- You have difficulty turning over in cold weather or while driving on hills If any of these sound familiar, contact a mechanic right away so they can help you determine whether it’s time for a replacement.
- Your headlights or taillights don’t work as well as they used to
- You’re having trouble starting up your car when it’s cold outside
- The engine is sluggish and takes longer than usual to turn over (a few seconds).
It’s time for a new car battery
A car battery is the heart of your vehicle’s electrical system. The alternator, starter, ignition switch and lights are all powered by it. You can’t drive anywhere without a working battery! Unfortunately, they don’t last forever. If you notice any signs that your car battery needs to be replaced, please take it in for repairs as soon as possible.
If you have recently noticed any changes with your car battery or if you are experiencing any issues starting up your vehicle, there may be an issue with the quality of the power being supplied to the batteries from the alternator belt. Batteries need to be maintained on a regular basis in order to ensure maximum performance and longevity; this includes checking fluid levels periodically and performing routine inspections.
With all of the cold, snowy weather coming our way, your car battery might be one of the last things on your mind. But like most other things in life, it’s best to deal with this situation sooner than later.